Friday 17 July 2015

Electric Prisms and Coloured Rhythms



... are titles of works by the multi-talented Sonia Delaunay, whose career spanned much of the 20th century. She was a pioneer of paint; a mistress of the applied arts; and ace collaborator with some of the most progressive poets and choreographers of her day - and she was crazy about clothes! This first UK retrospective at Tate Modern has warranted several visits and I shall probably return for one more helping of Delaunay before the exhibition closes on August 9. On this particular visit, I opted for a charming 1920s-style silk shift, but actually a modern piece by Sarah Spencer, in washed sea-green and soft peach, colours which, I think, take their reference from the Bloomsbury Set. My daughter's glamorous gilet, by Lederer, is a jazzy miz of suede and fur, and has abstract patterns cut into it. My trusty canvas bag was bought in Cornwall and the French plimsolls are by Bensimon. A deliciously decadent string of milky-white beads, punctuated by a jade flower, and a pink quartz ring and bracelet, are by my jeweller of choice, Jessica Walker.

No comments:

Post a Comment